For the first time I got my face casted. Slightly strange but I rolled with it. We used cling film to cover faces to protect us from the embarrassment of getting modroc getting stuck to our face and then enviably ripping off our eyebrows, which is good since I'm quite attached to mine. Then my partner Millie covered my face with layers of modroc - it was weirdly therapeutic but it quickly became annoying since it got really heavy and made my neck hurt.
When it came to my turn to cover Millie's face I felt really nervous because I didn't want to accidentally poke her eye out or anything like that. But I found casting her face a lot harder than I thought it would be, the cling film didn't make it any easier since is slipped around and didn't stay still at all, and since the modroc dried relatively quick I was trying to work against the clock as well. I found using modroc slightly difficult because it was hard for me to properly capture the facial features without trying to poke and prod at Millie's face too much.
But I thought the end results were good despite it being my first attempts - I found the cast's eerie, looking slightly calm but with no emotion what so ever. They also reminded me of death mask, but on a cheery note it also reminded me of when I made mummy masks in YR 6 - fun times! Before we were to cast our faces we prepared our asks with a special kind of glue which name escapes me - this was so that when we pour plaster in the modroc mould it would not stick.
We then had a lesson in plaster - to make it just requires water and then you put the plaster powder in until the plaster starts to make on small pile above the water. Then we mix it and wait for the plaster to harden - when it got to this weird mouse-like texture then you fill your mould with it before it becomes to hard and you can't use it anymore.
I was surprised on how quick the plaster hardened and how warm it got when it had set - but I felt a bit dismayed when we had to peel the modroc mould off and practically destroy it.
![]() |
| The inside of my Cast |
But I was really impressed with the final outcome, even though I kind of don't have a nose.











No comments:
Post a Comment