Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Face, Clay and Latex

Last lesson we cast our faces with modroc and plaster and after two weeks we finally got to start adding and building up clay features - just like our body cast work we had to use our folk art theme to create not just a face cast but a folk mask.

Since my poor face cast had suffered from lack-of-a-nose-itus, my first job when building facial features up with clay was to give myself a nose! However it ended up looking a bit like a piggy nose but I have quite a wide nostrils, I have admitted it and have embraced it - I also built up my lips and my eyebrow area which had also gone missing.

After making my face look semi-lifelike, I needed to start incorporating folk art influences into my design for my mask - so after brainstorming some ideas verbally and using my resources I found in my folk art research - I decided to do a design that had influenced from Tibetan mask but with bright colours found in British folk art.

So I added this strip/gill looking things on around my eyes, cheeks and the side of my face, also I had decorative eyebrows which was a common trait in the Tibetan kind of mask.


When it came to the eyes I found a common feature in folk mask is that they are often large, round and that they protrude out quite far out - since I liked this look and my mask looked unfinished without something being done in the eye socket area.


My final adjustment was making the nose look a bit more pointy.


Then when I stepped back and looked at it the mask reminded me of the masks that the performers wear in Cirque du Soleil - previously (when I still wanted to be a costume maker - and for that company as well!) I have done a lot of work and research into that kind of circus design before and I unconsciously placed that influence in my mask.

Then after covering the mask in soft soap I started to cover the mask in latex and slowly started to layer layers of latex, so hopefully next lesson I will get started in adding detail to the mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment