The Victoria and Albert Museum
The visit to the V&A I was really great and I enjoyed seeing what I got to see, which wasn't a great amount but it was specific to my subject area (Art History) also looking at statues, tableau and architecture casts are something within Art History that I am interested in - also looking at the tableaus will help with research for body cast mural we are making in our 3D lessons.
I was looking forward to seeing some historical art so I could improve my art research and contextual ability, also I'm just a bit of a history nerd and wanted to see everything in the museum.
The Plaster Cast Courts Room
I loved everything in this room! These structures were all casts of the real thing and placed in this room, most of them were architectural structures from various cathedrals/churches from around Northern Europe and Spain, so many of the carvings purpose was was to express a story without the use of words, for example the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ - this is because hundreds of years ago many of the common people were illiterate and would have to learn/hear these religious stories from the priest or learn them visually from the carvings in places of worship.
I was particularly interested in this carving because by Western/European standards this piece is backwards - since we would read left to right but this piece tells the story from right to left - so this made me think these piece could possibly have been carved from outside of Europe (possible Arabic Christians) as they would read right to left and so could possibly carve their tableaus this way.
The intricate detail in these architecture pieces was insane, it amazes me of how with more rudimentary tools those who created this structures made such intricate and complex designs (also how the V&A had managed to get these giant pieces cast in PLASTER!)
I was looking forward to seeing some historical art so I could improve my art research and contextual ability, also I'm just a bit of a history nerd and wanted to see everything in the museum.
The Plaster Cast Courts Room
I loved everything in this room! These structures were all casts of the real thing and placed in this room, most of them were architectural structures from various cathedrals/churches from around Northern Europe and Spain, so many of the carvings purpose was was to express a story without the use of words, for example the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ - this is because hundreds of years ago many of the common people were illiterate and would have to learn/hear these religious stories from the priest or learn them visually from the carvings in places of worship.
I was particularly interested in this carving because by Western/European standards this piece is backwards - since we would read left to right but this piece tells the story from right to left - so this made me think these piece could possibly have been carved from outside of Europe (possible Arabic Christians) as they would read right to left and so could possibly carve their tableaus this way.
| A tableau on telling the story of the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus. |
| The other half of the plaster room was under construction. |
| Imagine my surprise when I saw David! |
Trajan's Column
| Detail on the plaster cast of Trajan's Column. |
| Plaster cast reproduction of Trajan's Column by Monsieur Oudry,1864. |
| The purpose of this colum was to commenrate the Roman Emperors victory over the Dacians of Danube in AD 101-2 and AD 105-6. |
| The orginal version of this is in Rome and is made of Parian Marble. |
| There are over 2500 figures in this huge frieze. |
| This part of the column reminded me of the Bayeux Tapestry - which was also used to commemorate a battle. |
| Plaster cast of a 10th century green sandstone cross from Dublin (feat. Emma) |
| Celtic Cross cast from the Isle of Mann |
| Loved the celtic designs that were carved into the cross! |
"Puerta de la Gloria" - The Gate of Glory
| Plaster cast of the "Puerta de la Gloria" by Matteo from the Santiago de Compostela in Spain, 1188. |
| Detail in the archways. |
The Renaissance and Medieval Room
| A Frieze by Raphael |
| A Wolsey Angel |
| Another Wolsey Angel |
| Tableau carving telling the story of St. George |
| Gargoyles were not always used to be frightening - they were also often used for comedic effect in some buildings, for example theaters. |
Asian Room
I didn't get to look at the Asian room too much but I got a nice picture of this beautiful statue and Crown from Thailand, Asian art is something that I definitely want to look at these area in more detail for sure.
I didn't get to look at the Asian room too much but I got a nice picture of this beautiful statue and Crown from Thailand, Asian art is something that I definitely want to look at these area in more detail for sure.
This part of our visit was my favourite my only regret is that I didn't get to see more!!
No comments:
Post a Comment