I attempted at making some low-lights on the mask so that the mask wasn't as such a pure blue block colour but it didn't quite work as I had hoped - but I think if you look closer you could see it but I kind of over did the dark blue on the mask.
When I came to paint the gold features I was a bit dismayed that the gold paint was diluted in the latex mixture and was more of a weird beige then gold but I instead painted that one then painted over and into that latex with the gold paint and luckily the colour stayed better when painted that way - I really loved how the gold against the blue mask was really striking
Then I painted the eyes white to make them look more striking and bold, I did think it was too much but the whole point of these masks were to hold the eyes of the viewer and this definitely is achieved in this.
I then went to paint the iris on - this went terribly and I never want to freehand paint circles as iris ever again. I had to paint over the right eye with white again and I'll have to wait until it dries to paint it again.
After mounting the embroidery on the card shape I sewed it on the rest of the hat it was a little too big for the hat and really the teardrop shape wasn't doing much for it and was a bit big so that is something I would improve on if I were to do it again. The rest of the hat I think went really well and even though it wasn't as grand and decorative as I had hoped but that came down purely to overestimating how much of the embroidery I could do the time that I had - it also didn't help that I spent a while having a lot of trial and error and had a awfully long period of creative blockage, and by the time I had managed to get out of that I didn't have a great deal of time left.
However, I think after I got out of that I did manage to get something made and properly for the end of this topic - it did match with my final idea for the folk hat that I wanted but the only thing that I missed was the little strings of beads that was supposed to dangle from either side of the hat.
![]() |
| I can see here that the embroidery it slightly off center.... and that is infuriating. |
![]() |
| Side View - You can see where I should have cut off more of the gold material before sewing it on the hat. |
![]() |
| Whooo Final Hat!! |











No comments:
Post a Comment