Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Making Playing Cards

Right since my designs requires three playing cards I had thought about printing them out on A3 paper but thinking about the size of the hat A3 wouldn't be big enough, so I thought I would have a go at drawing out the playing cards in crayon, ink or paint - I got out my A2 sketchbook and started by painting the paper with white paint. Then I borrowed my mums sewing ruler and added two inch boarders on each side.

Anuk judging my boarders/
I started with a Ace of Spades - On my design I had planned for a Queen of Hearts and then a card in hearts and diamonds but I thought of instead using the red coloured cards, the black ones might look a lot better. I didn't want to have just a blocked colour of a shape so I looked at more decorative Ace cards and drew that instead, which I thought looked okay but once I started painting the design in looked loads better. 



I moved onto an Ace of Clubs card afterwards and I was just as happy with this one, but the Spades did look a bit better.


Ah the Queen of Hearts was the worst - all the symmetry to the design and the little fiddly pieces in the design were the worst to draw but it turned out alright.



I did the typical me thing when it comes to drawing - I ALWAYS DRAW TOO BIG!!! So I couldn't draw the rest of it but I didn't really think that it mattered so much since the bottom of the card would be tucked away and not seen so I didn't need to paint it anyway.

I started with the yellow parts on the card, since it was the lightest colour before I went on to paint the red.


I then went on to the black pieces and very slowly and carefully went to outline the rest of the card - which was extremely hard and even though I used the world tiniest paintbrush I did try to use a nib and ink but it didn't settle properly on the paint. So I continued with the tiny paintbrush until I had all of it covered - up close you can see the little wonky patches and scratchy areas but from a distance it looked good and if I'm going up on the catwalk no one is going to look that closely so that makes me a little happier.

With this out of the way I hopefully can get this hat finished soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment