Saturday, 7 February 2015

The Walker Gallery

My first trip to Liverpool was a great and our first stop was at the Walker Gallery and it reminded me of the Victoria and Albert but also Chatsworth House which had the historical objects of the house but also had collection of modern art as well. Side Note: isn't the building gorgeous!


Designed by Thomas Jeckyll and made by Barnard, Barnard and Bishop 1878. Influenced by Japanese art Jeckyll adapted them to a new material of cast iron.

"Auto da Fe-Spain in the Middle Ages" by William Shakespeare Burton, 1893. 























"And When Did You Last See Your Father?"
I started having a fit of nerdy history glee when I saw this see I had studied the Civil War throughout my history A-Level and during my secondary school life, and I was just fan-girling over seeing this painting in person!

It made me smile how even the most detailed of painters still cant paint letters all that delicately.

Pre-Raphaelites 
Another Painting I Went Nerdy Over






Renaissance Rooms


















Portraits of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I 
First thing any should know about me when it comes to history is that, in English history the Tudor Dynasty is my favourite period - so when I saw this it was immediate NERDY TUDOR PAINTING GLEE!!!

Hans Holbein the Younger, painted between 1537-50.

The Triumph of Fortitude Tapestry



Plaster Cast Room 
Since plaster casts and statues are probably my favourite thing ever so naturally I was like a kid in candy land in this room and I'm sure I annoyed the gang with how much I wanted to stay in there.





Now, this piece of tableaux reminded of the Eglin Marbles that we looked at when we first started the body casting project.



No comments:

Post a Comment