Tuesday, 17 February 2015

New Ideas and Fattening the Hat

My main and first idea was to create a magicians hat with bunny ears coming out the top, so to make it look like the rabbit-in-a-hat magic trick - I could do this simply by making a big wire pair of ears and cover them in fabric (I'm thinking white fluffy fabric) and then attach them to the top of the hat, so i would have to add some more wire on the top of the hat so the ears could be attached to make it look like they were coming from the inside of the hat.


Developing from this I idea I could take the rabbit aspect further and I myself could dress up as a bunny and have straps for my hands so I could lower the hat up and down to look like I'm jumping out of the hat - but this would mean I would have to find out how much could I dress up as a rabbit, could I make a giant head or would that be too much and would I just have to make do with face paint and a set of ears?

The idea of using a the famous Madhatter influence was always at the back of my mind since its probably one of the most iconic hat-costume that you could think of - because of this is why I wanted to avoid it but I think it was worth trying to at least make some design with this influence.



With these new designs I had thought to changing the shape of the hat - I was a bit reluctant to do since when I made the frame in the first place I wanted that traditional look but I was reminded that the AMW was about being playful a breaking out of the norm. So I thought of expanding the width of the hat so it was more of a V shape - so I had a practice on a smaller version to see if cutting each side and bending it apart to add extra wire to make it fatter.




It did work, so I did it on the real thing and I couldn't get it symmetrical which did bug me but I kept reminding myself "AMW is about the imperfections. Embrace the wonky hat. Embrace the wonky hat."




So I did and set to covering it in newspaper which was a lot easier this time since the newspaper from yesterday had dried and I could stick the wet newspaper to the dry and I covered it a lot faster. 

When I got that finished I sat and thought about other embellishments I could add (so that rabbit ears were not the only ideas) I thought that I could tuck something into the band I was planning have around the hat - playing cards, a wand, flower, pin or badge or maybe a mask across sitting across the brim.

I need to cover the brim in newspaper and I can set to decorating it - what I need to it plan is how I am to decorate it, with paint, fabric etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment