Sunday, 18 January 2015

A New Crown

I gave up on the crown.  It just wasn't working at all and had loads of details to add to it that I simply don't have the time to do all the components for the crown and to a good quality. Also I thought that the crown was more 'history-culture' that folk-common-low-art so maybe this restart is a good thing. I need a new design that isn't complicated and reflects folk art better than my current design - I felt a bit better about my situation when Dave said that sometimes "You need to over complicate before you can simplfy and make a better design."

I kept coming back to the terribly cut out piece of cardboard that I used right at the beginning for inspiration, for some reason I really like the shape that the arch shape makes when it was put on the mask.

So I started to generate ideas with that and I just kept getting ideas a getting them down as much a possible and this kind of automatic drawing/designing was great because I managed to get out some decent designs out on paper which I needed because I was just getting frustrated at the project and myself for not generating a huge amount of creative flow.
Design One 
Design Two
Design Three
Design Four
After asking my group on there opinion and pitching and explaining each design, design four was the winner.  Now need to make a wire frame that will support and maintain the shape of the faux fur part of the hat, then I will need to make a band that goes around the base of the hat (possibly out of card) to make it more comfortable to wear and also support the hat better - this band will also serve purpose for sewing decoration on the hat. (Sorry if that doesn't make any sense but its hard to word my ideas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment