Sunday, 25 January 2015

Mask Designs

As I was still adding layers of latex to my mask, I still had to think of ideas of what to paint on my mask, for example colours and patterns.
My Ugly OCR is rearing its head looking at this....... ITS NOT SYMMETRICAL!!

After the multiple layers of latex I could now take the mask off and wash the inside off the excess clay, health and safety and all so that I don't breathe in nasty clay dust - also I will need to cut out breathing/seeing holes, health and safety reasons as well. Also I thought that the inside of the mask kind of looked like a weird skin suit.

I managed to salvage some of the built up clay parts from inside the mask.

Since I had a little look at folk masks at the beginning of the project I thought that now that I had narrowed my field within masks in folk art (Asian-Tibetan) I thought that I would look into the particular features that are found on those masks - which I found were large striking eyes, facial markings and bright colours. 

So with that I made a design I thought would represent this, but I also had to make sure that the design that I drew had to fit with the markings I had made by building up clay on my face cast - but I think that I made a good design that fit with my mask.

I was caught between two colours for the base of my mask, bright blue, oranges and maroons were colours that I thought I could experiment with the colours by starting off with blue and if I didn't like it I would could cover it with a red - but I really liked the blue and if definitely made the bug-like eyes stick out a lot more.

When it dries I need to start painting on the design, I need to remember that I need to add latex to the paint when it goes on the mask or else the acrylic will chip of and that will make me feel sad :/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment