Saturday, 14 March 2015

Gypsy Performance Caravans

Since I'm looking at set design I became more interested in the smaller versions of performances or sets that were created for low-budget and frequent performances - my first thought was the theater company Oddsocks who I go and see every year in the summer, they often perform Shakespeare plays but I've seen a Robin Hood which I saw in Sherwood Forest.

What I am interested about hem is that these small scale sets are designed to be used as the backdrop for the entire play - so there needs to be a universal theme on the set that can be relatable throughout the performance. This means there needs to a certain amount of design and iconography that can explain and represent the play - as well as images this included words, shape and images, so these all need to be considered so to provide a suitable and engaging backdrop for the viewer and the performance.

After having a Google image search I couldn't find many images of these small travelling theater but I did find these traditional old Gypsy caravans.

Firstly..  aren't they gorgeous? But as I looked at more I found the old Gypsy Caravans that were used for music performances, puppet shows etc.


I really like the bright colours used - even thought they arent as decorated as proper theater sets I still love the design and cutulure behind the Gyspy Caravan so next lesson I will have to look at possibly applying my designs to a Gsypys caravan format.

No comments:

Post a Comment