Monday, 9 March 2015

The Finishing Touches

After ruffling netting I sewed it around the brim and over the chicken wire frame it wasn't as hard as I thought because I could use the white ribbon as a anchor point to sew on -  I had to reconsider the colour arrangement since I didn't have enough red netting to go around the brim once so that had to be taken out. Also I had to put the black netting underneath and have the white above so the wire isn't seen and that the white isn't lost underneath the black netting.



I noticed that the less ruffled parts of the netting didn't poof out as much as the better ruffled pieces....

....so that I didn't repeat this on the top layer that everyone sees I cut out the best ruffled parts of the netting and then sewed them to the top so it looked the best that it could possibly look.


It doesn't look entirely as I thought it would but I think it did look as good as it was going to get with the wire frame - I little better planning I think could have been done to ensure that it looked exactly how I wanted it.

I bought a great ton of red organza to go around the brim of the hat as a contrast since the white netting and then the white band would make the bottom look, well, overall white - so about seven meters and short-shift worth of wages later - I used it around the hat and played about with making a bow at the back which I had to pin the the hat so I didn't slouch so much.




I also used pins to attach the playing cards better to the hat so they were pinging out of the brim and not falling out - I was really happy with the finished costume and felt a sigh of relief that it was done, I think I might cry when I have to take it apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment